Online jewelry stores offer various products, such as earrings, rings, necklaces and bracelets. Depending on the materials used, such as silver, gold, or gemstones such as diamonds, the products can cost from a few tens to many thousands of euros. Every customer has his or her own taste and preference when it comes to jewelry. A good jewelry webshop will therefore not only offer an extensive range, but also provide personal advice to help you make the right purchasing decision.
This article discusses the obstacles that online stores in this industry may face. In addition, practical recommendations are made to address these challenges effectively. Special emphasis is placed on an element particularly relevant to this industry and an idea is presented to improve its sustainability impact. Some practical examples are also given for clarification.
Online stores that sell jewelry face specific challenges when it comes to converting visitors due to the large selection of jewelry they offer and the preferences within the target group.
- Trust: Jewelry is a costly and often emotional purchase, which means customers must trust the online store before making a purchase. This can be a challenge for new or unfamiliar online stores, as customers may hesitate to buy from a site they don't know well.
- Visual: Jewelry is a visually driven product, so it is essential for online stores to present their products in the best possible way. This can be difficult to achieve online, especially if the images do not do justice to the product.
- Personalization: Many customers want to customize their jewelry, such as engraving or adding a specific gemstone. Offering customization options can be a challenge for online stores because it requires additional resources and can increase the time it takes to fulfill orders.
Free and non-binding 1 hour session?
Gain insight into your challenges surrounding CRO
Below are some suggestions for web shops that sell jewelry and that can help with web shop optimization. However, it is important to realize that not all tips are suitable for every webshop. This is because web shops differ in matters such as digital maturity, budgets, tooling, and personnel. The competitive landscape and the psychological motivations of visitors can also differ per webshop. Therefore, it is recommended to first validate these suggestions before implementing them on the webshop. This can best be done through A/B testing.
- Emphasize the craftsmanship: Jewelry is often handmade and made with a high level of skill and attention to detail. Highlight the craftsmanship and quality of your products on your website to differentiate your brand and build trust with potential customers.
- Offer a range of price points: Jewelry can range from affordable to high-end luxury pieces, so offer a range of prices to suit different budgets and customer segments.
- Provide gift options: Jewelry such as necklaces, bracelets, rings, and earrings are often purchased as gifts, so provide gift options such as gift wrapping and personalized messages to make the shopping experience more enjoyable and special.
- Offer customization options: Many customers want to personalize their jewelry, so consider offering customization options such as engraving, choice of gemstones, and metal finishing.
Sizing is an important aspect when selling jewelry online via a webshop. It is essential that customers choose the correct size for their jewelery as jewelery is often not exchangeable due to hygiene reasons. To increase conversion and provide the best user experience, there are various methods available for jewelry online stores. It is important to ensure that the chosen method is communicated clearly and consistently on the webshop, so that customers know what to expect and feel confident making their purchase.
A commonly used method is the use of size charts. The size of the jewelry is indicated on a table with associated dimensions and instructions on how the size can be determined, for example by measuring an existing piece of jewelry or the circumference of the wrist. It is important to present the size chart clearly and place it near the product description so that customers can find it easily. Another method is to make the jewelry adjustable. This can be done, for example, by means of an adjustable closure or an extension chain. This gives customers more flexibility in choosing the right size and increases the chance that the jewelry will fit. A third method is to offer a free ring size or bracelet size tool. For example, this could be an online tool where customers can measure the circumference of their finger or wrist, or a physical tool that comes free with the jewelry. Offering these tools can help customers choose the right size and give them the feeling that the online store values customer service. Finally, online shops can consider making custom jewelry. This offers customers the opportunity to have the jewelry made to their exact size. While this can be a more time-consuming and costly option, it can also lead to higher customer satisfaction and repeat purchases.
The materials used in jewelry making play an important role in the sustainability of the product and the industry as a whole. Many jewelry is made from precious metals such as gold and silver, but also from gemstones such as diamonds and other materials. The production of these materials can have a negative impact on the environment and the local communities where they are mined. It is therefore important that web shops are transparent about the origin of the materials they use and the production processes they use in order to make sustainable choices.
For example, online shops can provide better clarity about the materials they use through product descriptions and sustainability quality mark certificates. They can also choose to sell jewelry made from alternative, sustainable materials such as recycled metals or natural materials such as wood or bamboo. Offering jewelry with other materials or gemstones can potentially increase conversion, especially if these alternatives are more sustainable.
In addition, web shops can also collaborate with sustainable suppliers and producers who strive to minimize their ecological footprint and pursue fair and sustainable production. By working with sustainable partners, online stores can reduce their impact on the environment and at the same time offer responsible and sustainable jewelry to their customers.
- Aurate: This atmospheric video shows craftsmen at work making the jewelry that is sold in the webshop. By adding this video to the product page, this brand shows that they do not work on mass production, but on craftsmanship.
- Mejuri: Using the filters available on the category page, visitors can select jewelry that suits their budget. The options shown should make sense based on the prices of the products offered.
- Bario-Neal: Here the option is offered to have a piece of jewelry engraved. With this option, make sure that you make it clear to visitors what the maximum number of characters they have available is, to avoid disappointment.
- Agmes: On this webshop you can select an option to have the product gift wrapped. Personally, I find this option on the expensive side ($10 for a $120 product), which means it may be used relatively little.